Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sea World's new water coaster
Roller-Coaster.com.au Forums > Amusement Parks > Sea World
david
I was recently reading up on the new spit developments the QLD gov wants to start, in one of the files they showed how the works would take over the Sea World overflow parking lot.

What caught my attention however was that the plans also showed a water coaster to be built on the western edge of the parking lot. Below ive attached a copy of the page in question. The track layout indicates a standard mack water-coaster, with the monorail to pass over the splashdown pool.

There is no timeline shown so i am not sure when they will start construction, thats to say if they still plan to go along with it, the date down the bottom but suggests that village roadshow was still contemplating the idea very recently.

I think this sounds very promising, having said that i wish vrtp opted to install the larger version of the ride seen on the mack website http://www.mack-rides.com/lang-en/c128/default.html thats if they still continue to go ahead with it.
jake-train
get the hell out of here!
that is going to be the best thing there you see i hate seaworld but if thay do build this it is going to be of the hook mate. Man how do u guys find this stuff out. tell me some other stuff that thay are building on the gold coast
thaxs for that mate i'll have to look in to it more. biggrin.gif
Gazza
Thanks mate, good effort.
The funny thing is that neither of the given layouts on the Mack website have actually been built, so we would be getting a unique one.
Im guessing the ride will start off next to the car park and head up the lift, do a dipping u turn, slow slightly through a set of block brakes, then curve down to the ground where it will reach its fastest point, keep curving up to a second set of block brakes, then from there it will go down a drop, head over a bunny hop and will splash down. By the look of it the bunny hop will have waterfalls either side like this:
http://www.rcdb.com/m/ig3106.htm?picture=8
http://www.rcdb.com/m/ig1891.htm?picture=29

Now, my thoughts on this. It will be a fun ride, but it will be a quick thrill, don't expect miracles or anything, I can see this being purely something that gets you soaked rather than a proper coaster or a fully themed experience like WWF or Bermuda.
That said, I personally think it would be cool if they tinkered with the layout a bit so there would be a pre lift flume section, perhaps replace the lift hill with a vertical lift. Im actually wondering whether that would be the final design anyway..they could have just pulled the layout example off the Mack website just so the application would have an example in there, rather than going to the expense of getting a full design off Mack for an application that might not even go through.

It says it would be part of a "Stage 1", so lets hope this happens sooner rather than later. Its the right ride for SW at the right time.
CoAsTeR TeeN
OMG!!! This is amazing ohmy.gif . Gazza does a concept of a water coaster on NoLimits and seaworld decides to plan a, lets see, a WATER COASTER!! It looks like WVTP look at this website a lot, more than I thought.

Although the ride looks very short, it will probably be loads of fun. But i do agree with Gazza as it will be a quick thrill, and probably nothing like a fully themed water ride. It would be good if they did an Atlantis theme, this seems to be the best fit for all the water coasters. But then again Gazza's concept art for a full-fledged themed adventure would be awsome as well: Atlantean Adventure. Actually now that you think about it, a watercoaster with a storyline would be soooo much better then a lift, turn-around and drop (e.g. Atlantica Supersplash.

I'm sure a lot of people here, including me, think that this is a fantastic next "big ride" for Seaworld. I know SW isn't a very ride oriented park, but I think adding this ride will make the park more appealing for teens and other thrill seekers coming to the Gold Coast for the themeparks. I know I'll be visiting if a Mack watercoaster is built tongue.gif .

I was also thinking, how do we know this is definately going to be built?? Everyone could get their hopes up and in the end we will get the news that this was one of the many plans for the park for their next attraction/ride. And instead WVTP's went for another animal exhibit dry.gif .

CoAsTeR TeeN
Gazza
^Haha, don't be that hasty, this has, from what a few people have indicated, been on the table for a while. I remember reading a comment made by John Menzies at one point that they wanted a water coaster, but needed more space, I guess this is what they were aiming for. I was expecting more of a response in this topic given this ride has been on peoples wish lists for a little while.

David, can you give us a link to the stuff on the spit development.
ash.1111
Here you go guys. Page 51.

http://www.infrastructure.qld.gov.au/libra...opment_Area.pdf

PS. Great find!
mattcrombie
This sounds really exciting. More should surface soon.
AlexB
From Page 16
3.6 Stakeholder Facilities
3.6.1 Sea World
Sea World is a major tourist attraction on The Spit and the State understands the
importance of Sea World as a tourist destination.
Sea World currently holds a long term lease over Lot 1 on CP846066 (29.02
hectares). This is Sea World�s primary parcel of land and includes the marine theme
park and Sea World Resort Hotel. The southern part of the lot includes car parking
for approximately 1000 cars.
In addition, Sea World has been granted a Permit to Occupy over Lot 1 on WD6522
(2.4 hectares) for car parking purposes, which can be cancelled at short notice. This
permit includes:
� a bitumen area of 6000 m2, which can provide for approximately 180 cars; and
� a surrounding grassed area, which can provide for approximately 570 cars.
Hence, Sea World currently has tenured access to approximately 1750 car parking
spaces.
In the Christmas/ New Year period, Sea World also uses part of Lot 9 on USL 33533,
which can provide car parking for a further 600 cars.
Sea World has expansion plans and has requested:
� tenured long term exclusive access to a total of 2000 permanent car parking
spaces
(i.e. an additional 1000 car parking spaces over and above the existing
1000 car parking spaces);
� access to a further 600 car parking spaces during the peak two week Christmas/
New Year period; and
an additional 5000m2 for a new attraction (part of which is contained within Lot 1
on CP846066 and part in Lot 9 on USL 33533).
Sea World�s has developed an indicative plan for its proposed expansion, which is
provided in Attachment 3. (IMAGE POSTED ABOVE)
The State has made a commitment to Sea World:
� to ensure that Sea World�s existing 1750 car parking capacity will not be reduced
(except with the agreement of Sea World); and
� up to an additional 5000m2 will be made available for a new attraction.
Hence, Developers of the Northern Development Area will need to ensure that Sea
World retains exclusive car parking for a minimum of 1750 car parking spaces with
these car parking spaces to be of similar standard or better than the existing car
parking spaces.
In addition, the State would be supportive of innovative proposals, which assist Sea World to realize its expansion plans.
In due course, the Preferred Proponent will need to negotiate with Sea World to
ensure the objectives of Sea World and the State are satisfied within the Northern
Development Area. In this regard, the State�s requirement for a full commercial
return for the Northern Development Area (refer section 5.2.1) should not be
compromised.
Note, Bidders are requested not to contact Sea World directly. If there are any questions
regarding the above matters, Bidders are requested to contact the Project Director.

Some interesting points there... QLD Government is behind seaworld, and while they haven't guaranteed the 5000 square (they say UP TO 5000 square), it looks as though Sea World have gone far enough with this plan to ensure the government allows for it in their own plans. It is also good because it answers some further questions we've all been asking for a while in terms of "where can Sea World expand?"
lastly, the further development of the spit, while restrictive in terms of what Sea World could do in the future, It sure will bring more attractions towards the park, while still protecting Sea World's interests.
ShadowXL
This looks really promising, tho it would be disappointing if its a take you up drop you down sort of ride. But a new addition is a new addition i guess.
Churros
^From what I've gathered that style of ride is a little more than that. Expect to get wet though. My only question would be how would building this go with the water issues that have been apparent on the coast until only recently? Namely with things such as those waterfall type things that Gazza pointed out.
ShadowXL
I don't know how much I am allowed to say so i wont say much because I would like to keep my job at wvtp, but this is not the next ride to go into seaworld and it is not the place where the next ride will go.
cerberus584
I see that ShadowXL was at the Ball last night...
I also work for WVTP and also don't want to say to much... I would hate to get in trouble but no this is not SW's next attraction.
Gazza
Are you guys referring to the Hippo exhibit? Or will there be another ride built after the Hippo exhibit but before the water coaster?
mattcrombie
I Think the Hippos will be coming this year.

The new penguin closure is still not finished, they wanted a Christmas opening. Im gonna source some info.
ShadowXL
no Gazza, its a ride. I think it will come before the hippos, but thats just me speculating, but they way in which it was told gave the feeling it would be this year.
cerberus584
John Menzies definitely said it was part of the $22 million that Village Roadshow was spending on WVTP this year...I'd be expecting an announcement fairly soon.
Ian
yeah the ball was a real blast this year for me, but the new ride sounds great and will be a really good fit for sea world.
Gazza
So its definitely going to open by the end of this year?
ShadowXL
They didn't give a date but it was mentioned as the continuing expansion in 2008.
zane
The answer to this question might reveal too much, but is the new ride "Major"?
Gazza
They'd better get moving then if its a 2008 attraction...Maybe it will be worth getting a MyFun Mega Pass for SW too when I get up to Brisbane just so I can see how this all pans out.
I must also say that $22 Million sounds like a decent amount. Realistically WnW would only take at most $2 Mil given the average price of water slides (The Rip at WWW was on;y $1.4 Mil)
At AOS I cant imagine there being any major captial works, so its probably $20 Mil between SW and MW really, no huge rides most likey (unless they spent all their money mostly at one park), but probably something quite decent in each park.
ShadowXL
Im not sure but that 22 million might have included the price for the sea world resort upgrade as well.
djrappa
Ride will be major. I got all the details from the man himself and whilst of course I'd be shot and fired for posting what I was told... I think everyone here will be really happy and it should certainly shut up the Seaworld is boring crowd.

I've been hearing rumours from people that SW isn't getting hippos anymore, I don't know if there is any truth in that though.
mattcrombie
Guys this is really cool. I found out some real cool facts about it and all I can say, its very promising. Imanaged to source down some information on it all.

With the Hippos, I don't think its gonna happen anymore but something else will come to the park which is way better than hippos.

I will tell you what I found out later today...

Very Exciting....

All I can say for now.... It is 2008. wink.gif
rosscoe
Maybe Seaworld is getting Australia's first B&M?
joz
^ No, the maker of SW's next ride is pretty well represented in Oz.
zane
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say its an Intamin Zacspin

E.g.......http://www.rcdb.com/m/id3613.htm

Zane.
Original
I know what's going in there!!!
I have known for some time!!!
But I have been under very, very, very strict instructions not to mention what it is!!!
Probably the strictest ever, apart from superman, which I had no idea until track arrived then I was finally told!!!
For this reason I will not say!!! Although from what I do know, which I think I can say, Hippo's are gone (which I think that was pretty clear to everyone with knowing there's a new ride coming and other people mentioning it), just not thrilling!!!
Something will replace the Eye which is complelty gone now, but I can't say, at least I don't think I can!!! I don't know when its going in, but it should be good!!! I hear its good with teenagers and huge in the US marine parks!!!
But as for water coaster, I don't if it will have water, but will somethiing completly diferent (never seen before) Don't know where its going or if they stopped what it is!!!
But will be fun!!!!
All I will say as well not from MACK and will be more thrilling than Motocoaster, mainly built to take on DW's new ride (motocoaster)!!!

I was told this before christmas I don't know if anything has changed or different, so its only rumours, nothing confirmed!!! I also don't know if there not as strict anymore since then about it
ShadowXL
QUOTE (zane @ Feb 15 2008, 04:48 PM) *
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say its an Intamin Zacspin

E.g.......http://www.rcdb.com/m/id3613.htm

Zane.

From what i was told i think i can rule that out, then again i could be completely wrong..
joz
I know what it is!!!! But I cant say!!!! Don't know what it is!!!! But its going to be good!!!! Its confidential!!!! I'm not paying out Original!!!!
TOT
C'mon vekoma tilt! [vekoma's got two in Australia?] Either Intamin or Vekoma I hope.

smile.gif
Gazza
^Vekoma has 4 (Lethal, Reptar, Roadrunner, Wipeout and formerly 7 if you count in Centrifuge, Supernova and Demon) in Australia off the top off my head, though I don't know why people would want them ahead of the products from other manufacturers.
mattcrombie
Think Dreamworlds motocoaster..... but something Marine type.....to compete with Mich Doohans

Here is some names I heard of:

Surf Rescue
Jet Rescue

I wanna know if these other people say they know what it is, if they really do or not. C'mon & Spill.....

Hippos are scrapped.....I know that..... There going to be having whale watching tours each year which will be run by Seaworld.
Gazza
Think Dreamworlds motocoaster..... but something way more thrilling.....and Marine type.....

Arrgh, if you are going to copy a competitor at least copy one of their good rides.
Edit: Oh wait, DW were talking about here, copying a good ride would involve building a gyro swing or a freefall, out of the question in this case tongue.gif .

Here is some names I heard of:

Surf Rescue
Jet Rescue

Well, I think 'jet' would be referring to a jet ski rather than a jet plane obviously given this is SW we are on about here.
Maybe this sort of theme, it relates to the ocean after all?
Click to view attachment

Now, I don't know if Intamin have any alternate themes for their motocoaster accelerator, after all we only have one, but I do know that Vekoma offer a few different options for their motorbike coaster: http://www.vekoma.com/index.php?option=com...5&Itemid=13
one of which is a rather sleek looking sea doo type vehicle, seems to match Mattcrombies description anyway....its a derivative of the motorbike concept, its more thrilling (Vekoma have the better layouts than Intamin) and its definitely marine themed, come to think of it it would be pretty cool, SW is lacking a family coaster ever since thrill seeker left.
Zamperla are also another option if it is like motocoaster, they make alternative themes to normal motorbikes, such as the horses being used on Pony Express at Knotts, maybe they could do a sea doo vehicle also?

Hippos are scrapped.....I know that..... take a guess what they will get..... Animal type...

Please let it not be the pandas.

I wanna know if these other people say they know what it is, if they really do or not. C'mon & Spill.....

They dont want to lose their job.
Still, Ill wait till we see something official.
mattcrombie
I thought it was shamu whales in seaworld, but its just simply a Tourist Boat which seaworld will be running to take customers out to see the whales, during the season.
ads086
I'm guessing it's an AquaTrax
mattcrombie
More info guys.

I got this name: Jet ski animal rescue....

Apperently it will be located between corkscrew and bermuda and will most likely try to incorporate a live animal element...

Gazza
Wouldn't the animals get disturbed if a ride was running around them? Though I suppose Journey to Atlantis at SW San Diego has that tank of commersons dolphins at the ride exit:
Click to view attachment
mattcrombie
QUOTE (Gazza @ Feb 15 2008, 10:15 PM) *
Arrgh, if you are going to copy a competitor at least copy one of their good rides.
Edit: Oh wait, DW were talking about here, copying a good ride would involve building a gyro swing or a freefall, out of the question in this case tongue.gif .

Well, I think 'jet' would be referring to a jet ski rather than a jet plane obviously given this is SW we are on about here.
Maybe this sort of theme, it relates to the ocean after all?
Click to view attachment

Now, I don't know if Intamin have any alternate themes for their motocoaster accelerator, after all we only have one, but I do know that Vekoma offer a few different options for their motorbike coaster: http://www.vekoma.com/index.php?option=com...5&Itemid=13
one of which is a rather sleek looking sea doo type vehicle, seems to match Mattcrombies description anyway....its a derivative of the motorbike concept, its more thrilling (Vekoma have the better layouts than Intamin) and its definitely marine themed, come to think of it it would be pretty cool, SW is lacking a family coaster ever since thrill seeker left.
Zamperla are also another option if it is like motocoaster, they make alternative themes to normal motorbikes, such as the horses being used on Pony Express at Knotts, maybe they could do a sea doo vehicle also?

Your on the right track gazza
Forgot to mention a Temporary attraction going in where the eye was.
zaneymon
I don't what it is as long as it's opening before my trip over in December then ill be happy.

Zane
Spotty
Oh... another tempoary attraction? Why don't we just whack some carnie rides in where the Eye was!
PixelPushed
Maybe a person who works at seaworld could PM a few of us what is being put in so that WVTP cant read if they gave the information away or not then they dont lose their jobs
zane
Well it is pretty easy to work out what it is.
All I will say that it basically is to compete with Dreamworlds motocoaster, and I mean really compete wink.gif wink.gif
PixelPushed
I didnt look at first post lol! now i know what it might look like
Gazza
We can tell.
PixelPushed
QUOTE (Gazza @ Feb 16 2008, 08:55 PM) *
We can tell.

Tell what? blink.gif
Gazza
QUOTE (PixelPushed)
Tell what? blink.gif

Well, obviously my post is meaningless now since you went and changed your entire post like you always do (Stop doing that! This is what, the 20th time you have done this! ) , therby disrupting the flow of conversation.

We're not stupid, In the post prior it says:
This post has been edited by PixelPushed: Today, 10:39 PM

And in the post above this one it says:
Today, 10:40 PM

So all you did was change the first post, and then a minute later wrote the second one pretending what I wrote didn't make sense, when in fact I did make sense before you went and edited.

What are you trying to achieve?
PixelPushed
Does anyone know what date the construction is starting?
zane
It's not a Water Coaster
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.